Friday, May 25, 2012

End Table Re-Do

A few months back, I tried to distress a hand-me-down table from my mom.  The entire project cost me $5.00!!!  I think that is the best part.  


So here is the before:



I thought is was a little too...what's the word...hmm...ugly!

So I painted it with white spray paint and then did a light teal/turq color over the top. All of which was recycled paint from other projects.

I then sanded it down and tried to distress as well as I could.  I called it quits until today!

Here is the before my ah-ha moment:



Its not that is not pretty but the after is exactly what I was looking for!










This is where the $5.00 came in.  The original knob was just plain wood and I am totally into vintage and glass knobs so I had to find one. I originally wanted clear but, I thin the green is perfect! Successfully found at my local antique store!!!  Love it!


So here was the ah-ha moment:




Gel stain!!!  This makes anything look vintage and old and amazingly cool.  I used an old tee shirt sleeve and then smeared it on.  A little bit goes a long way but make sure you get into all the nooks and crannies!!  Also the previous owners of our house left a ton of paints and stains behind and this was one of them!




The last step was to clear coat it! Thanks to the spray can it was so easy!  I made sure I got the top the best since my previous attempt to this project, I skipped this step and I feel like the stains will repel more with this on it.




The final results:








Perfection!


















So I absolutely love this little table now!!  The knob is my favorite part and finding it was meant to be!








No comments:

Post a Comment